PORTSMOUTH, R.I. — The town of Portsmouth has issued a Request for Proposals (RFP) to seek a concessionaire to redevelop and operate its Coggeshall School.
The RFP is available on the Town Web Site Request for Proposals Page ( http://www.portsmouthri.com/398/Requests-for-Proposals )
Since its construction in (ca) 1925, the Portsmouth former Coggeshall School (321 East Main Road) has served many purposes. It had most recently been occupied by the Aquidneck Island Christian Academy who left the property in July. The original structure was expanded, in 1965, with an addition to provide additional classrooms and an all-purpose gymnasium.
The Town is seeking a concessionaire to redevelop and operate the property. In October, the Town issued a Pre-Solicitation Notice that provided information on the property and a preliminary set of objectives that the Town hopes to achieve in improving and repurposing the property. The Town also held a public open house on November 9, 2018 where over 30 interested people attended.
The RFP objectives include:
- Providing funding source for Town operation and maintenance of the property.
- Use of the Town-owned property as a multi-use complex that affords opportunities for both public, private or hybrid public/private use. (Although the most current use was for educational activities, other uses, including mixed uses, will be considered).
- Compatibility with use of adjacent sports fields. Although the adjacent sports fields are not specifically part of the solicitation, use of the building must be compatible with their use.
- Ensuring adequate staffing to maximize use and protection of facilities.
- Ensuring safety and convenience for the users of the complex.
- Establishing and maintaining a long-term relationship with the Town with continued Town ownership of the property.
- Stabilizing and improving the condition of the property.
- Upgrading the facility to Fire and Building Code status for the most restrictive expected use.
Responses to the RFP are due not later than 2:00 PM on Wednesday January 30, 2019. A Non-Mandatory Bidder’s Conference is scheduled for Wednesday January 9, 2019 at 9:00 AM at the Portsmouth Town Hall, 2200 East Main Road where questions may be asked. All inquiries concerning the RFP must be either asked at the Bidder’s Conference or in writing as specified in the RFP. No informal communications with the Town concerning the RFP will be permitted. All formally submitted comments, questions and answers will be posted on the Town Web Site (www.portsmouthri.com) Request for Proposals Page.
Richard Talipsky, Town Director of Business Development, said, “we are looking for a qualified party to provide a plan for improvement of the property and to operate it for the Town and coordinate its widest use and to benefit the citizens of the Town”. He added, ”With limited Town capital improvement funding, we’ll need to find someone that has innovative ways to gain grant funding and, perhaps, use public-private partnerships to defray the cost of needed work on the building”.
The RFP and other related information will be made available on the Town web site ( www.PortsmouthRI.com) Requests for Proposal page.