Senate Finance Subcommittee names chairpersons
STATE HOUSE — William J. Conley, Jr., Chairman of the Senate Committee on Finance, has appointed several members of the committee as subcommittee chairpersons.
The subcommittee chairpersons will take the lead during budget hearings related to their subcommittee’s purview. Additionally, committee members with special expertise or interest in a particular subject matter will be asked to take a leading role when the committee considers those matters.
In a process that is new this year, public postings of Finance Committee hearings will reflect the leadership roles of the members.
The following Senators have been appointed to as subcommittee chairpersons:
- Subcommittee on Municipal Finance: Senator Sandra Cano (D – Dist. 8, Pawtucket).
- Subcommittee on Health & Human Services and General Government: Senator Louis P. DiPalma (D – Dist. 12, Little Compton, Middletown, Newport, Tiverton). Senator DiPalma is also 1st Vice Chairman of the Committee.
- Subcommittee on Veterans’ Affairs: Senator Walter S. Felag, Jr. (D – Dist. 10, Bristol, Tiverton, Warren). Senator Felag is also 2ndVice Chairman of the Committee.
- Subcommittee on Education, Commerce: Senator Ryan W. Pearson (D – Dist. 19, Cumberland, Lincoln). Senator Pearson is also Secretary of the Committee.
- Subcommittee on Public Safety and Transportation: Senator James A. Seveney (D – Dist. 11, Portsmouth, Bristol, Tiverton).
- Subcommittee on Agriculture, Environment and Energy: Senator V. Susan Sosnowski (D – Dist. 37, South Kingstown, New Shoreham).
“Senate President Ruggerio and I discussed ways to draw upon the resident expertise of the outstanding membership of the Senate Finance Committee, and these appointments are a result of those discussions. We are fortunate to have their valuable leadership on the committee as we delve into the details of the state budget and other matters,” said Chairman Conley (D–Dist.18, East Providence, Pawtucket).
“I look forward to working closely with the subcommittee chairs, the members of the committee, and all of my colleagues in the Senate as we undertake the hard work ahead.”