PORTSMOUTH, R.I. — At the request of the RI State Board of Elections, Governor Gina Raimondo signed an executive order moving the RI Presidential Preference Primary to June 2, 2020.
Since this order, state and local election officials have been and continue planning to provide safe, secure, and convenient processes for RI voters to cast their ballot.
What to Expect
By mid-April, every registered RI voter will receive a mail ballot application from the Secretary of State’s Election Division for this election. (Those who have already applied will not receive another application.) It will include instructions and a postage-paid envelope for the application to be returned to the State Board of Elections.
Local Canvassing offices will process the requests. Ballots will then be mailed to voters by the Department of State with information about how to cast and return to the Board before Election Day.
What to Do
- Register to vote by going online to vote.sos.ri.gov or by completing a RI Voter Registration form and submitting it to your local Board of Canvassers.
- Verify your current registration information by going online to vote.sos.ri.gov or contacting your local canvassing office.
- Is your name accurate?
- Is your address correct?
- Is your party affiliation current? (Important in primary elections only.)
Make any changes NOW by updating information using the same process for registering.
- Complete the mail ballot application and return as soon as possible. Voting by mail is the safest and most convenient method of casting a ballot during this crisis.
- April 20–deadline to apply to receive Braille or tactile mail ballot application.
- May 3—last day to register to vote.
- May 4—deadline to change party affiliations.
Voters may submit registration forms or changes to the Portsmouth Canvassing Authority, 2200 East Main Road.
Portsmouth Town Hall is closed to the public; however, forms are available inside the first glass doors at the south entrance during business hours. There is also a drop box available.
Regular Canvassing office hours are as follows:
Monday—Wednesday, 8:30 AM to 4:30 PM
Thursday, 8:30 AM to 6:30 PM
Friday, 8:30 AM to 2:30 PM.
Voters can also register, make changes, or obtain forms online at the Voter Information Center (www.vote.sos.ri.gov).
Please contact the Canvassing office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 683-3157 with any questions.